To Top

Access Bank ATM Gallery Catches Fire In Ikotun

Pandemonium broke out yesterday afternoon, when fire suddenly gutted a bungalow housing about six Automated Teller Machines, ATM, at Access Bank, Ikotun Branch, old Alimosho Local Government Area, Lagos. It was gathered that property worth millions of Naira and unspecified amount of money were destroyed in the late afternoon inferno.

Director, Lagos State Fire Service , Rasaq Fadipe, who confirmed the incident, said the inferno broke out few minutes past 4pm. According to Fadipe, “We received a distress call around 10 minutes past 4pm, and we promptly, dispatched our firemen with fire engines to the scene. “On reaching the spot, there was heavy smoke that enveloped the entire area but we were able to put out the entire fire at about 6pm due to the highly fortified nature of the building.
“We had to bring in a forklift machine to break the wall inorder to get access to the spot of the fire which is a power house where about 100 high voltage batteries use for powering the ATM were being kept.”
He explained that with the help of police who provided security, normalcy was subsequently, restored. According to fire boss, the inferno was as a result of sparks from the power house, containing the batteries. “We can not quantify in actual term the valuable of property destroyed, but should be running into millions including cash in the ATM,” Fadipe stated.

Culled From Vanguard

More in Local News